Thursday, May 26, 2005

The woods = holy fuck

Janet Weiss has moved to a much looser drumming style, like john bonham or the guy who drummed for the Jimmy Hendrix experience. It totally works in this context.

Look, more pictures of my girlfiend:



The easiest way to play rock critic is to draw analogies to other music, which works if your audience shares the same frame of reference. I hear this as a grunge album, which makes sense given the band's Olympia heritage. The don't sound like Pearl Jam grunge, the grunge that made it to the radio in the ealy 90s. It sounds like the fuzzy grunge that didn't get that far out of Seattle. The Melvins. Mudhoney. Given the amount of guitar heroism, another good comparison would be Neil Young in his live electric mode. Of course, that was the exact sound that the rock critics declared retroactively grunge. The 11 minute fuzz jam sounds very Velvet Underground or recent Sonic Youth. In other words, this sounds like a lot of music I already like.



So much stuff has drawn me away from work this week. Now this. Ok, I'm going to the library, which will prevent me from listening to S-K and blogging.

No comments: