Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I got a meme!

Mona passed a meme on to me! no one ever passes memes to me!

Total Volume of Music Files on My Computer: 9 gigs. Currently it lives on my work computer, which is a silly place for it, because I've lost my ability to work and listen to music at the same time. In fact, I've lost the ability to multitask anything with reading and writing that is not another form of reading and writing.

The Last CD I Bought Was: The one I've been blathering about, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods. And look, my girlfriend is interviewed in The Onion.

Song Playing Right Now: Nothing. Like I said, I cannot multitask anything with writing that is not another form of writing.

Five Songs I Listen To a Lot, Or That Mean a Lot To Me:

"Your Mother Wants to Know" Scrawl.
It's a song about not getting along with your mother, but its not sung from a teenage perspective. This isn't one of those songs that makes me say "this song is so about me." I dont' trust people who only like songs they see themselves in. I actually have a good relationship with my mother, and trust I will always have a good relationship with my children. Scrawl seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth, and have probably returned to their day jobs in Columbus Ohio. I post their music in hopes that renewed interest will bring them back.

"Love Vigilantes," New Order. (or as covered by Poi Dog Pondering, Superchunk, etc.) The song can make me cry, and runs through my head whenever there is a war on, which seems to be every 10 or 15 years.

"Slack Motherfucker," by Superchunk, as covered by fIREHOSE. Is it ok to like the cover better? I know superchunk was being hip when they burried their vocal tracks in the mix, but I like the fact that Ed Fromohio just got all in your face with his off keyness. Also, this song runs through my head whenever I am angry at my employer, which happens quite often.

"Reno Dakota" The Magnetic Fields. This song is here because Stephin Merritt rhymes "dakota" "iota" "quota" "Nino Rota." Also, he rhymes "enthrall me" and "call me." Oh fuck it, here are the lyrics.

Reno Dakota
there's not an iota
of kindness in you

You know you enthrall me
and yet you don't call me
It's making me blue
Pantone 292

Reno Dakota
I'm reaching my quota
of tears for the year
Alas and alack
you just don't call me back
You have just disappeared
It makes me drink beer

I know you're a recluse
You know that's no excuse
Reno that's just a ruse
Do not play fast and loose
with my heart

Reno Dakota
I'm no Nino Rota
I don't know the score
Have I annoyed you
or is there a boy who
Well he's just a whore
I've had him before

It makes me drink more

"The World Turned Upside Down" words and music by Leon Rosselson, as recorded by Billy Bragg.
This site gives the history of the events told in the song. I have never heard the original version, but I have heard an additional cover by an a capella woman's group called something like "clandestine"

Who will you tag? Pippy, because I know she does memes, and Thomas, because even if he doesn't do memes, he has good taste in music.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Lovely Blog!
hugs!