Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I love stories like this

via Languagehat, this WP story about a sign language interpreter who got the word out about the rigged Ukrainian elections at a time when the Yanukovych people controlled the media

The newscaster read the officially scripted text about the results of the election, and Dmytruk signed along. But then, "I was not listening anymore," she said.

In her own daring protest, she signed: "I am addressing everybody who is deaf in the Ukraine. Our president is Victor Yushchenko. Do not trust the results of the central election committee. They are all lies. ... And I am very ashamed to translate such lies to you. Maybe you will see me again," she concluded, hinting at what fate might await her. She then continued signing the rest of officially scripted news.

No comments: