Monday, May 16, 2005

W v. FDR

A blog called the Cleveland Park Men's Club has a side by side comparison of FDR and our current dear leader. (via Preposterous Universe) The best part of the post is a little ways down, when he gives you a bunch of side by side quotes from FDR and W. Some highlights:



FDR: "I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded. I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed.I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war." -Address at Chautauqua, NY, August 14, 1936.

GWB: “I think war is a dangerous place.” -Washington, D.C., May 7, 2003.

“I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace.” -Washington, D.C., June 18, 2002.

-----

FDR: "I see one-third of a nation ill-housed, ill-clad, and ill-nourished. The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." -Second Inaugural Address, Washington, D.C., January 20, 1937.

GWB: “What an impressive crowd: the haves, and the have-mores. Some people call you the elite, I call you my base.” -Al Smith dinner in New York, October 2000.

----

FDR: "We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization." -Greeting to the American Committee for the Protection of the Foreign Born, Washington, D.C., January 9, 1940.

GWB: “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.” -Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004.

----


FDR: "Men and nature must work hand in hand. The throwing out of balance of the resources of nature throws out of balance also the lives of men." -Message to Congress on the Use of Our Natural Resources, Washington, D.C., January 24, 1935.

GWB: "I read the report put out by the bureaucracy. We'll be working with our allies to reduce greenhouse gases. But I will not accept a plan that will harm our economy and hurt American workers." -June 3, 2002.

----

FDR: "In these days of difficulty, we Americans everywhere must and shall choose the path of social justice, the path of faith, the path of hope and the path of love toward our fellow men." -Campaign Address, Detroit, Michigan, October 2, 1932.

GWB: “I want to send the signal to our enemy that you have aroused a compassionate and decent and mighty nation, and we're going to hunt you down.” -Louisville, Kentucky, Sep. 5, 2002.

No comments: