Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Don' t mind the chill

again via Dr. B, this story about an adjunct professor who was canned after her blog-identity was revealed.

The Phantom Prof was accused of doing something that I have also been accused of: hurting students feelings. Among other things, she joked about bad student writing. The blog TBOC has been blocked from campus for the crime of hurting students feelings. Phantom Prof could also be summarily fired because like half of the academic workforce, she is an adjunct.

Of course, we should be concerned about protecting students from harassment. As teachers, we have an obligation to create a nurturing environemnt. If I was too harsh in my earlier comments about student writing, I apologize. In the future, I will be as civil in this forum about classroom issues as I am in the classroom itself.

That said: humanities professors are hired because they are verbal, curious, and dedicated to the truth. No one should be surprised when many of us latch on to a new written medium as a way to explore life and promulgate the truth. This is our vocation.

I am grateful for the the tolerance SLU has shown me so far. I would appreciate it if I was warned if the content of this blog is bothering someone before I get summarily canned.

No comments: