Friday, June 24, 2005

On the Current Global Religious War, part 6

Arthur Schlesinger Jr. has a piece at the Huffington Post about the evangelical Christian take over of the Air Force Academy. (via Murky). He notes that there have been 55 complaints of religious harrasment, and provides a link to this CNN article.

I take this to be another piece of evidence that the bulk of the people fighting in the "War on Terror" are motivated by religious hatred. (It is, I admit, one of the weaker pieces of evidence, but every little bit builds the case.)

I'm tempted to say the war should be renamed "The Eighth Crusade," but the title does not capture the equal culpability of Islamic fundementalists. I'd call it "The War between Christianity and Islam", but that neglects the important strategic alliance fundementalist Christians have made with right wing Judaism.

I also don't think it's an accident that this same institution has developed a culture of sexual harrasment and rape.

No comments: