Wednesday, April 20, 2005

whingeing

Yesterday my way geeky Space 1999 box set arrived in the mail. I wanted to watch an episode last night, but there simply was no time. I got home from work at 6:15, watched Caroline to 9:45 and finished class prep for today at 10:15. By then I was too exhausted to do anything but sleep. I hate the fact that the only time I have to myself is the span between when Caroline falls asleep and when I fall asleep. (And when I steal time from work to blog.)

Ok, all I'm going to do in this post is complain. Since others will have little motivation to read this, I will put it under the fold

So here's what I have to do:

1. Prepare a quiz for tomorrow
2. Grade the late ethics papers so that students can turn in their rewrites.
3. Grade the stack of relfection papers from the ethics students' community based learning projects
4. Grade the chapter 7 and 8 homework for the Science: Questions, Methods, Reflections class

5. Grade the last two field projects for the Science:QMR course
6. Grade the test on Giere that just came in from the Science: QMR course.

The science QMR students have been complaining that I give them too much work. I have actually agreed with them several times, and changed assigments accordingly. The major peice of evidence that I underestimated the amount of homework I was giving out: I can't keep up with the grading.

This is what I'd rather be doing:

1. Watching Space 1999. (People say the series sucked because it was cheesy and made no sense. I think these are both virtues in sci fi.)
2. Read my big geeky ant book. (It also came in the mail recently. My first project is simply to figure out how I want to approach the book. I'm thinking of having a preliminary period where I just look at the pretty pictures.)
3. Read more about the Oxyrhynchus Papyri. (The website has a lot of the legible, already deciphered Papyri online. I've always been amazed that the works of the greeks have come down to us at all, even in the distorted form we have them, and always wanted to learn more about the inferences that were made in reconstructing the books that sit on my shelf.)

Ok, basically, I want to totally geek out, but I have to grade instead.

No comments: