Friday, April 29, 2005

redux








Your English Skills:



Grammar: 100%

Punctuation: 100%

Vocabulary: 100%

Spelling: 40%




I call foul. The only vocabulary problem I got wrong the last time was the synonym for "ponderous". Now I changed the answer to what they wanted, I got a 100. The answer they were looking for was "gigantic". Here are the definitions from the American Heritage dictionary of the English language

1 Having great weight.
2 Unwieldy from weight or bulk.
3 Lacking grace or fluency; labored and dull: a ponderous speech.

It's from the Latin word pondus, weight. The core meaning of the word is obviously heavy, and other meanings come by metaphorical extension. But heavy is not large. You could not describe a hot air ballon as ponderous. No way.

I went with "hard to understand" on the grounds that someone who is dronning on and on also tends to be hard to follow. Good speaking is clear speaking. I think I am closer to the core meaning than these web quiz guys.


Did I mention that I had an 800 verbal GRE? Don't fucking tell me I don't have a fucking command of the fucking language. Fucker.

No comments: