Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Fog of Grading

I'm grading along and having trouble concentrating. I read something like this

According to the previously accepeted "standard" model, blah blah blah that these authors present.


There isn't a standard model at issue in this problem. Something is amiss in the answer. I should just take a point off and move on. But I read the sentence again.

According to the previously accepeted "standard" model, the members of these articles blah blah blah that these authors present.


What? The members of the articles? I must not have read this right. I have now spent a noticible amount of time staring at this sentence, and I still haven't processed it correctly. Ok, this time I am going to read the whole sentence. If I concentrate, and don't skim, I can judge the sentence well.

According to the previously accepted "standard" model, the members of these articles and feeling about abortion are that a number of different positives [aaargh!! can't. finish. sentence.]


That didn't compute at all. One more time.

According to the previously accepeted "standard" model, the members of these articles and feeling about abortion are that a number of different positives and a number of different negatives that these authors present.


Ok. It's not just me. That didn't make any sense.

How do other people manage to grade 15-20 tests an hour? Just trying to cope emotionally with a single poorly constructed sentence can take me 10 minutes.

No comments: