Thursday, March 10, 2005

Past Teachable Moments

Now that I have invested energy in the TBOC thing, I should take advantage of the chance to use the issue in the classroom. Fortunately, the ethics text I'm using has sections both on tolerance and courtesy, so we will have plenty to bring to the table.

Well, in preparation, I've hauled out some power points from the past times I've used local issues to teach free speech on campus. This deals with a nasty incident at Auburn University involving racially explicit halloween costumes, and includes this especially creepy picture, which I have hidden after the break to shield sensitive eyes.




By the way, the Auburn University apparantly decided that this next photo was not evidence that the fraternity had violated the campus firearms policy.



I mean, a mock lynching is bad enough, but how can taking guns to a frat party not be a violation of a university alcohol policy. Drunks. With Guns. What the hell.

In any case, this is the picture that I think went beyond the bounds of acceptable speech



The shirts have the letters of a black fraternity on the auburn campus. Outfits like this can only constitute a hostile learning environment. Although, oddly, that is not what the president of Auburn University felt.

Added: oh yeah, this is the next teachable moment in the series of teachable moment power points. It is less exciting than the Auburn one. I'll post the TBOC ppt when it is done.

No comments: