Wednesday, March 09, 2005

A Correction and a Clarification from TBOC

Christian Evangelist of Take Back Our Campus wrote to correct a few points in my previous post, endorsing his right to free speech and taking his side in the lawsuit by the administration.

I wrote that TBOC had posted what appeared to me to be a fake gay personal ad for a SLU staff member. It turns out the ad was a real match.com profile and the staff member was already out of the closet. Christian also noted that he didn't care whether outing was protected speech. More importantly, the thrust of TBOCs post wasn't that the staff member was gay, but that he implied in his personal ad that he didn't want to date blacks or asians. Christian included the original personals ad, and indeed the list of ethnicities he is seeking does not include blacks or asians.

Now that I have some background, I'm not at all troubled by TBOC's post. Like I told Sergei in another context, you can't stop people from talking about you using publically accessible information. I also figure I can't complain about the TBOC post, because I thought it was really funny when someone found Andrew Sullivan's personal ad, which said "no man is too hairy." Whenever I read Sullivan, I still think to myself "No man is too hairy for Andrew Sullivan."

Where was I? oh yeah...

Mr. Evangelist also wanted to clarify that although they are frequently accused of deleting comments on the blog, the only time they have actually done it was to remove an accusation that a leftist professor had raped a student. I would have deleted that comment as well.

I still see plenty of things to comlain about on TBOC, but I'm not going to bother. They say they are aspiring to be muckraking journalists. May the ghosts of Upton Sinclair and I.F. Stone shine on them.

No comments: