Sunday, March 06, 2005

Distracted from grading by SLU questions

I have papers that I should be grading, but I have all these questions that I can't quell. So I'm just going to post them here, in hopes that it makes them go away.

Does the fact that a web site is run by SLU community members, addresses SLU community issues, and is accessible by SLU community members make it a part of the SLU learning environment? Does it matter that the site is not hosted or endorsed by the university and at least on the surface has no connection to university employees?

Should alleged harassment on the basis of political affiliation be judged by the same standards as sexual harassment? If you say no to this question, will you regret the choice when it is liberals who feel harassed?

Do SLU republicans count as a vulnerable group because of the amount of highly visible leftism on our campus? Does the national situation make a difference here?

Do the attacks on academics like Rashid Khalidi, Ward Churchill, and Sami al Arian amount to an environment of McCarthyism on the national level? (First they went after the communists, and I said nothing, because I was not a communist...)

Fuck, I just did a really shitty job of clearing my mind of worries so I can focus on grading. I *cannot* get sucked into this issue. I have too many commitments.

No comments: