Email is down at SLU. People are coming out of their offices, rubbing their eyes, and addressing each other face to face, mostly to ask "when is email going to come back." In honor of the email blackout, I give you an old joke
Why Email is Like a Penis
1. Those who have it would be devastated if it were ever cut off.
2. Those who have it think that those who don't are somehow inferior.
3. Those who don't have it may agree that it's neat, but think it's not worth the fuss that those who have it make about it.
4. Many of those who don't have it would like to try it, a phenomenon psychologists call "Email Envy."
5. It's more fun when it's up, but this makes it hard to get any real work done.
6. In the distant past, its only purpose was to transmit information vital to the survival of the species. Some people still think that's the only thing it should be used for, but most folks today use it mostly for fun.
7. If you don't take proper precautions, it can spread viruses.
8. If you use it too much, you'll find it becomes more and more difficult to think coherently.
9. We attach an importance to it that is far greater than its actual size and influence warrant.
10. If you're not careful what you do with it, it can get you into a lot of trouble.
11. If you play with it too much, you go blind.