Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Hitting the Road

I'm off tomorrow for two conferences: first I'll be giving a paper here on the moral content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then I'm giving a paper here on Buddhist nature aesthetics. Both papers have turned out to be really cool and fun to work on. The paper on nature aesthetics is a natural extension of other work I have done in environmental philosophy. The Buffy paper started out as something of a lark, but as I've worked on it, I realize that there are a lot of important things to be said. Molly asked me incredulously if I was going to list the Buffy paper on my CV. Not only I am listing the talk on my CV, but I am submitting the long version of it to the journal Slayage, and will list that on my CV if it is accepted.

I'm looking forward to both conferences, but the real fun will be afterwards. Since I'm flying back through Snowstorm City, where I'm meeting my family, I've planned a big blogger meetup with the incomparable Jo(e). (Seriously, she is incomparable. Have you ever tried to compare her to anyone? You can't. You just say "Jo(e) is like...umm, erm...never mind.)

Blogging will be intermittent for the next fortnight or so. But I’ll be sure to return with pictures.

Update: My hotel at the Slayage conference boasts free high speed internet access, yay! It is also right off a busy four lane highway with no sidewalks, and I didn't rent a car. Boo! This is not the conference hotel, so it has no amenities, not even food. Business within walking distance on this side of the highway include a tire store and "Towels Unlimited." There is a liquor store across the highway, so I may risk life and limb for a six pack of beer and chips.

No comments: