Friday, February 17, 2006

Sliver

Caroline: I wanna hear the Gramma Take Me Home song!

Molly: What do you want?

I put in With the Lights Out disc 2, which has an acoustic demo of Sliver, which Caroline has become enamored of.

Caroline: It’s a song about a boy who doesn’t want to go to his gramma’s house, and he says gramma take me home, and then he falls asleep in his mother’s arms and wakes up in her tummy.

Me: Actually, this version doesn’t have the nice ending verse I was telling her about, [singing] “after dinner I had ice cream/I fell asleep and watched TV/I woke up in my mothers arms.”

Caroline [Singing]: gramma take me home, gramma take me home, gramma take me home.

Me: Actually, lets listen to the rock out version of this song (*)

Caroline [Singing]: gramma take me home, gramma take me home, gramma take me home.

Getting the electric version takes a little time, because I have to make a copy of it first. We have a rule to never put original copies where the kids can get them.

Later:

Kurt Cobain: GRAMMA TAKE ME HOME, GRAMMA TAKE ME HOME, GRAMMA TAKE ME HOME

Caroline: Why is he yelling?

Me: He’s upset.

Caroline: It’s not nice to yell at your gramma.


____
(*) in our house any song with electric guitars is called a “rock out song”

No comments: