Monday, February 14, 2005

So what's with the Tractatus jpgs?

The real deal is that I have a number of looming deadlines dealing. Moreover, all of the projects deal with completely different topics, and it is impossible to shift my brain quickly from one field to the next. On Wednesday I'm giving a presentation to the SLU faculty on my current work in the aestehtic foundations of environmental ethics. Next week Lisa Lloyd is coming to campus. I'm teaching symbolic logic using a new textbook (Barwise and Etchemendy) and a new course design, and things aren't working smoothly.

So what do I do when I am being pulled multiple directions: become completely obsessed with the upper level propositions of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. I mean really, why not? They're so soothing in their clarity.

6.5: "If a question can be put at all, then it can also be answered."

7: "Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent."

No comments: