Thursday, January 05, 2006

7 x 7 Meme

Lindsay tagged me. It's so nice when cool people acknowledge your existence.

Seven eight nine things to do before I die

1. Become desireless

2. Write a chamber opera based on Night of the Living Dead which captures the intimacy and minimalism of the 1968 original Then direct a low budget film version of said opera. Right now I’m thinking that the instrumentation should either be just a string quartet or a string quartet plus an acoustic bass, like the original Trout Quintet or this arrangement of Libby Larsen’s Four on the Flour I saw once.

3. Write Elizabeth Costello fan fiction.

4. Learn to play the banjo. Teach Caroline the dobro and Joseph the fiddle. Form a blue grass band that specializes in Bad Religion covers.

5. Draw a comic book based on the Tractatus Logico Philosophicus.

6. Draw a comic book of philosophical dialogues between lovers in bed shortly after coitus.

7. Publish a paper with real empirical data that I gathered myself.

8. Turn my KEIJ paper into a book.

9. See my children grow and be happy and flourish into a ripe old age and die before they do.

(some of these are recycled.)

Seven things I cannot do

1. Get a tenure track job

2. Get a good night’s sleep.

3. Read music. (I drawback for goal number 2 above)

4. Draw (a drawback for goals 5 and 6 above)

5. Travel any moderate distance without getting lost.

6. Stop swearing in front of the children.

7. Go from being vegetarian to completely vegan

Seven things that attract me to blogging

1. It gives me instant feedback

2. It gives me an instant community

3. It gives me an outlet for my monkey brain.

4. It has a bad reputation that may be preventing me from getting a job

5. It gives me a new way to procrastinate.

6. It lets me write on anything, without too much worrying about audience.

7. It is a space for first drafts.

Seven things I say most often

1. Caroline, no!

2. Because it is custom of our people. (A parenting line I stole from my friend Polly)

3. Because you could get an owie.

4. Who’s a little stander? Who’s a little stander bander? Commander stander bander!

5. Wooshee gag a.

6. What’s the magic word?

7. Caroline, you won’t get your way if your cry.


Seven books that I love.

1. Plato, Republic

2. Boethius, Consolations of Philosophy

3. David Hume, Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion.

4. J. M. Coetzee, Elizabeth Costello.

5. Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico Philosophicus

6. Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 100 Years of Solicitude.

7. Philip K. Dick Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldridge.

Seven Movies (or Series) I Watch Over and Over Again (or would if I had time)

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the series)

2. Simple Men (dir. Hal Hartley)

3. Henry Fool (dir. Hal Hartley)

4. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

5. Wings of Desire (dir. Wim Winders)

6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (all three versions)

7. Andrey Rublyov (dir. Andrei Tarkovsky)

Tag seven people

1. Jo(e)

2. Rob the Unapologetic Atheist

3. Terri

4. Bridgett

5. Pippy

6. Butch Stroll

7. Orange

No comments: