Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Gas Station, and exit off I90

So I get out of the car and pop the gas cap. A kid comes up to me. He's wearing a parka with the hood up, and under that a knit cap from the fashion company whose logo looks like a pair of those girly silloettes you see on mudflaps. He says "how much do you want."

"Wow, I didn't realize this was full service." Seriously, I thought full service was exctinct, even on the New Jersey Turnpike, where it had clung tenaciously for years.
"Um, fill it up."

I get my credit card and go inside the little booth, where they sell coffee and chips. The pudgy guy behind the counter has a catepillar on his upper lip.

As I go to the counter to pay, and old guy comes in the employees only door, and is now standing on the wrong side of the register.

"Are you the manager?" he says to the pudgy guy.

"Um, I'm actually the manager at another station. I came here to get..."

"This young man," the old guy says, pointing to the girly logo kid shivering outside, "want me to pay for my gas before I put it in my tank."

"I already put it in your tank sir" says the kid "I put in 20 dollars worth."

"He wants me to give him 20 dollars before I fill up."

"I don't know anything about that" says the pudgy guy.

"He thinks I would run off without paying." they old guy is agitated.

"I already put the gas in your truck sir," says the kid again.

"Sir," says the manager of another store, "I didn't see any of this, so I really can't say"

"I've been coming here for...I would never run off without paying." says the old guy.

"Sir, I didn't see what happened. It's all a matter of perception. I can't judge..."

Holy shit! David Hume is a pudgy gas station manager with bad facial hair!

"I'm sorry if this person offended you." concludes the gas station empiricist.

"I want this young man to apologize to me."

The kid looks at me like I should intervene. I really want to explain to the old man that his gas was already pumped, but the whole thing just says quagmire to me.

"I'm sorry sir," the kid says. One of my students once insisted to me that one of the mud flap girls on his logo shirt was actually a mud flap boy. I'm looking at the logo again, and I swear they are just mud flap girls.

The old man gets in his truck and drives away.

"How much gas did you get?" bad facial hair Hume says to me.

No comments: