Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Zazen

I'm off to zen meditation after this update. My goal is to sit quietly and think about nothing for an hour. I'll let you, the internet, know how I fared. I'm not real good at sitting quietly and thinking about nothing. For starters, the group I've been sitting with reads a sutra first. The sutra always gets my mind going. What does this text mean? Is it true? All the questions I ask my students. All the questions I've been trained to ask and answer. But these days I'm trying to believe fewer things. I want to be less of a Humean skeptic and more of a Pyrrhonian. Alas, the monkey mind, he is so strong.

I do have a mantra which I manage to amuse myself with:

hari rama krishna rama john paul ringo krishna krishna rama rama george paul ringo

ad infinitum.

1 comment:

Bicyclemark said...

...and a pinch of salt, cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Let sit.