Friday, July 06, 2007

liveblogging a conflagration

The ridge right above my dorm at the East West Center is on fire. I can't find any news on line about it, or I'd link to something. But shit, the ridge is on fire. I asked a campus security guy if there were plans to evacuate and he gave me a very reassuring "oh no, not now." I've been watching it for an hour and a half now. I'm no good at estimating sizes, especially at this distance, but the fire takes up about a quarter of the part of the ridge that is visible from in front of the dorm. And I mean, fuck, it is a fire. A helicopter has been circling for a couple hours now. Periodically it lands in the street or the parking lot by the Korean Studies building and people get on or off. There is a fire truck here on campus. I assume there are people up on the ridge fighting the fire, but I can't see them. I've been taking pictures, but they don't look like much, and I don't have the right cable to get them on the computer.Ok, I'm going up to the 12th floor to see if I can see anything else.

No comments: