Saturday, November 04, 2006

OMG, a textbook fallacy

Check this argument out:
The Rev. Greg Boyd, pastor of Woodland Hills Church in Maplewood: "I thirst for water, and water exists. I hunger for food, and food exists. I hunger and thirst for God, so I concluded that God must exist."
from this interview with Richard Dawkins. The interviewer asks Dawkins what he thinks of this quote. Strangely, Dawkins does not say: "is this the best you could come up with? I despair for the American education system"

In any case, there's one for Reasoning class on Monday.

2 comments:

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

That reminds me of the following:

"God is Love. Love is Blind. Therefore, God is blind."

(which, at the tender age of 7, I found absolutely hilarious.)

Rob Helpy-Chalk said...

A classic! You have to throw in the last inference, though:

God is love
Love is blind
Ray Charles is blind
Therefore Ray Charles is God.

I should also give that one to my students to classify