Monday, July 04, 2005

Pish Tosh: The Icy Dildo: or, My Imaginary Internet Friend

Pish Tosh: The Icy Dildo: or, My Imaginary Internet Friend

B. @ Pish Tosh has a post recounting what has to be everyone's internet nightmare: she entered into a close friendship for two years with a person who turned out not to exist. You, the internet, should definitely check it out.

Before I was into blogs I was into zines, especially personal zines. I would subscribe to the xeroxed personal zines of people I didn't know because I saw them written up in the Factsheet Five. It was basically the same kind of experience I have now, except less involving because it moved at the speed of the post office.

In any case, there was a guy who's incredibly earnest, alternative yet Christian zine was popular enough to be carried in places like Barnes and Noble, until it turned out that he was also pretending to be a number of other personal zine writers and faking correspondences with people, etc.

So this sort of thing happened before blogs, but now it must happen a lot, and I still find it spooky.

So, anyone who stops by here, I ask you, who on the internet would you be freaked out to discover didn't really exist?

No comments: